Municipal Market, popularly known as Fish Market-Place, was built
by local authorities in 1914, having been ideated by the engineer
Rosalvo Mariano da Silva. This place was originally situated at
the seaside, what facilitated the access of fishing-boats
and the trim of the hold. However, a great extent of sea along our
commercial center was covered with earth in the early 50ís and
the building is nowadays far separate from the coast. Maybe for
this very reason this place enjoys no longer the same popularity
as in the past, being its stalls mostly occupied by small fishers.
Recently the building was largely reformed, but its original
characteristics were carefully kept and almost every stall is
presently open and working in good conditions.
Instead of a real fish-market, there was an informal market in
this place before 1914, where fishers exposed and sold their
products out of doors.